Re: Getting a job as beginning tech writer

Subject: Re: Getting a job as beginning tech writer
From: cpwinter -at- rahul -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 17:26:15 -0700

On 25 Sep 2002, at 14:17, D M wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> Could someone please give me some pointers on getting a job as a beginning
> tech writer. I am unemployed and really want to know what I can do to
> improve my situation!
>

> DM

Well, you handle E-mail well, so you're not afraid to get on-line. Have
you thought about setting up a personal Web page?

I mention this because it's not that hard to learn, and gives you an
inexpensive way to show some of your writing to the world. For me, it
was a factor in getting at least one of the TW jobs I've had in the past
year.

I'd suggest you find an inexpensive ISP -- or a free one, although free
can sometimes (not always) mean "lousy" -- and try your hand at
creating a simple page. You don't need any fancy software; just a simple
text editor like Notepad will do fine. Buy a book on HTML, or use the
tutorial sites on the Web, and in less than two weeks you'll have the
basics down.

As others have noted, it helps if you can write about some technical
topic that interests you. This doesn't have to be electronics or
computers; baking bread could fill the bill, if you are really good at that
and could explain the effect of adding too much baking powder. In fact,
almost anything could work, as long as you know it thoroughly. Some
examples:

* swimming -- describe how to do the Australian crawl, with
breathing.

* tennis -- how do you keep your serve on target?

* coin collecting -- what's the best way to clean up those grungy old
silver pieces? (Ans: You don't, and tell them why.)

I could go on, but you get the idea. The point is to have a piece of
writing that shows off your writing ability, your Web savvy, and some
special knowledge as well.

Chris

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com