Re: Mid-life Career change

Subject: Re: Mid-life Career change
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 06:50:26 -0600

Bil asks:

> 1. Will a brief email enquiry, including my nine (mostly yes/no)
> questions get any response? I.e. would the employers you're
> familiar with consider this just a nuisance and delete it? I plan
> to follow up any replies with a "thank you" telephone call.

Depends. What kind of companies, and who within those companies do you
want to contact? HR? The documentation mangager? Depending on who you talk
to, you're probably going to get a wide and inconsistent range of answers.

> 2. Would anyone here mind answering a similar quick set of
> questions for Technical Writers?
> [I don't want to spam the group, so you can reply off list if you
> prefer. mailto:writer -at- bcnexus -dot- com ]

Fire away - I'm game. So are a lot of us, so I suggest you post The Nine
Questions right here. Those who aren't interested can ignore the post, and
for the rest of us, it might be a nice break from debating about drafts
and ethics.

BTW, sounds like you've found a pretty sweet opportunity, getting somebody
else to pay for retooling your career! Very resourceful - thanks for
sharing that concept with us. I'm not aware of a similar initiative in the
US, but for you Canadian types, that sounds like it's well worth
investigating. Good luck with it.

Keith Cronin

Vini, vidi, siggi.
(I came, I saw, I sigged.)

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com