Re: perils of job hunting

Subject: Re: perils of job hunting
From: Kathryn Marshall <Kathryn -dot- E -dot- Marshall -at- jpl -dot- nasa -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 11:34:15 -0700

Mike,

If you were dealing with a recruiter, they were most likely upset at losing out on a commission that they had been counting on. My mom did technical recruiting for a bit, but hated it. Some work solely on commission and so are driven mostly by the $ and not by helping you find the best job for YOU. I'm pretty sure that money is the bottom line for that mean response. You have every right to NOT accept. Don't feel bad. The recruiter is obviously the unprofessional one. I'd ignore the email -- it doesn't deserve a response -- and focus on your new job.

Congrats,

-Kathryn

At 9/27/2002 11:14 AM, m w wrote:

I was recently offered 2 jobs, and this morning, I
chose which offer to accept.

I wrote a very professional and gracious e-mail to the
person whose offer I did not accept. In response, I
received a rambling diatribe about how I am
"unprofessional" and "set the project back 4 weeks".
The e-mail basically closed with the suggestion that I
am to blame if the project fails.

Am I mistaken in thinking that this recruiter terribly
overreacted? I mean, I did not sign a contract. She
was also aware that I was interviewing with other
companies. Yes, I signed a standard background check
approval, and took a drug test. But did this mean
that I had accepted an offer? Like I said, I made no
verbal or written agreement to a contract.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
Mike

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com