RE: Should a PDF include "Printed in Country" phrase ?

Subject: RE: Should a PDF include "Printed in Country" phrase ?
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 16:34:08 -0400

Celine Deguire mused:

> This document is a PDF version of single-sourced
> documentation offering the option of a printable version to
> the client. This
> document may also be printed at some time by us if the client
> asks for it.
> This product is sold internationally and I simply don't find
> that the "
> Printed in..." phrase applies in the PDF version.

The only things I can think of are standards (conventions) and copyright
attributions. For example, a North American power supply is not the same as
a European power supply. If the documentation says "Attach power supply"
without the customer having a clear understanding of the difference, well,
your customer could be hosed.

Sometimes terminology is just plain different in two countries using the
same language. For example, the verb "table" means opposite things in the
US and the UK, hence, I don't use it.

As for copyright attributions, sometimes there is one version for
documentation published in the US and another one for international docs.
The company that comes to mind is Apple: In the US, Apple requires the use
of ® and (tm) symbols, but internationally, the company requires a specific
text attribution instead (not in addition to the symbols).

Sláinte ... Kim
Be environmentally friendly--recycle these electrons.

... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
Kim Roper, Technical Writer
PixeLINK.com
mailto:kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com
http://www.pixelink.com/
Tel: +1 (613) 247.1211 ext 256
Fax: +1 (613) 247.2001

3030 Conroy Road
Ottawa, Ontario, K1G 6C2
CANADA

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com