RE: Linux users who like Windows

Subject: RE: Linux users who like Windows
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 21:53:24 -0600

You don't have to look too far from home, when talking about OS licensing
issues - Windows-XP has been designed to 'call home' in order to finish
instillation. Apparently, this is to prevent you from installing the OS on a
second computer (such as a laptop). Also, Microsoft is running a database of
the licences, in this way insuring that you can't skirt around their intent.
http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/ptech-20010705.html

It does get worse ... the (Microsoft's) plan in the near-distant future, is
to no longer offer software like MS-Office for complete installation on your
computer. But rather force users to call into Microsoft (.NET), and gain
access to it. Rather than own, you would buy (renew) a licence each year.
Decide not to renew the following year - you would be unable to run or
access the 'MS Office' programs desired (such as Word). At the moment you
can decide on when to upgrade, in the future it will be more like a cable
subscription.

In Large companies, this is slowly taking shape, in the form of Microsoft
'SharePoint.' This program integrates all the necessary collaborative
functions needed, and will one day include MS- Office. Also intended is to
move the platform from individual company servers - to Microsoft's own
facilities (.NET).
I don't believe many companies have come to realize the full extent of what
direction this is heading. The reason being, that 'SharePoint' (in the
short-term) will save companies money and need for IS resources. There could
be surprises down the road with regards to inflexibility, and increasing
cost, that will come out of this platform.

Personally, I've hesitated in upgrading to both Windows XP, and Office XP.
One reason - because of Microsoft's planed direction in 'home' software. The
other being - that I have a desktop and laptop running the same Win 2000
licence, and am not prepared to buy two full copies of XP (same with
Office). My rational is, that I don't use the two copies at the same time,
so why should I have to pay twice. Hopefully, when it comes time for
upgrading, the dust will have settled w.r.t the real cost in following
Microsoft's plans. Or that my application software will become old enough to
consider the switch to Linux, and Word Perfect.

Linux could definitely benefit from Microsoft's recent paranoia and greed.
This is unfortunate, since Microsoft does put out a reasonably good product,
and excellent documentation (compared to other companies in the Windows-OS
field).

Hope I haven't wandered too far 'off topic.'

Bruce

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Steven Oppenheimer wrote:
>
> > I think (hope!?) that corporations are going to get wise, and start
> > making Linux their primary operating system. ...
> > ... and then Microsoft might
> > reconsider their policies.
>
> I'm looking forward to seeing the next release of MS Office. With the
> new competition from StarOffice and OpenOffice, I think it's possible
> that some long broken features, such as autonumbering and master
> documents may finally get an overhaul.

Enhance, optimize and automate your FrameMaker-to-PDF workflow with TimeSavers:
Define all PDF features in your source FrameMaker files ONCE, distill MANY.
Bookmark Controller, Link Controller, UnBloat & more : http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com