Re: Viva le Same! Linux

Subject: Re: Viva le Same! Linux
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 17:23:10 -0700

JB Foster wrote:

I had the chance a few years ago, to install and maintain a Linux server in
an institution. Within 8 hours of it up and running, it was already being
commandeered (for bandwidth I hope) from outside. What a scare, definitely
not for the faint of heart. We were thankful that there was nothing
confidential sitting on that server, or that it was networked to the main
servers. Never had a problem after Windows NT Server was installed over it.

With all respect, this is a post hoc argument. Because you were never cracked (or never knew if you were) after you installed an NT server, you conclude that the reason was that you installed the NT server. This amounts to saying that, because you've never been attacked by an elephant since you started carrying a gun, then the gun must be scaring elephants away.

The fact is, any server is vulnerable to attack unless you set up the right precautions.If your Linus server was cracked so soon, then the chances are that it was not actually up and running - that is, you had it minimally working, but hadn't set up the usual security features.The majority opinion seems to be that Linux is generally more secure than Windows NT, not less.

At any rate, Linux has changed considerably in three years. Many major distributions now include security features such as firewalls as part of the setup.

Linux and Unix work great, but you have to know what your doing. With
'Windows', it's more designed for people like myself, who want something
that's as simple as 'load' and 'leave.'

There's no operating system on which security is simply a case of "load and leave." If someone isn't monitoring log files, checking for viruses and running various security functions, then a system is not secure, no matter what software you have installed to prevent intrusions.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Looking back at the long years
All that happened this way and that
I think I liked most the rice and the salt."
- Kim Stanley Robinson, "The Years of Rice and Salt"

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com