Re: Linux users who like Windows

Subject: Re: Linux users who like Windows
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 08:17:29 -0400

Brad Jensen wrote:

> While .NET may be ported to Linux, it's really a matter of the compilers and
> components. If you are going to write every line of your own code in C#,
> suer you can use .Net on Linux , once the bigs are out of it.
>
> Of course, the real power for most of us is VB on NT, and the broken
> version of VB that Microsoft has offered so far on .NET is a loser.
>
> That's why you are starting to see articles on how to use your VB6
> software with .NET.

I agree with you that the conversion is inadequate and a genuine PITA. I
think the concept MS is trying is portability of code between the dot
net languages. The logical results are that massive code changes had to
be made to VB. Whether this is good or will provide employment for dot
net VB coders is problematical at this time. The debate rages on. The
other effect is that C# and eventually C++ will run as interpretative
languages. In VB this will not make a difference in running time, but
the jury is still out on the other dot net components.

--
Peter
- a chrono- logically experienced citizen

FrameMaker-to-PDF TimeSavers Assistants let you enhance & automate navigation
in PDF doc sets (chapter tabs, next/prev chapter/pg, bookmarks, popup menus);
create interactive PDF forms, rollover popups; presentations: http://www.microtype.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com