Re: Viva le Same! Linux

Subject: Re: Viva le Same! Linux
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 12:22:53 -0700

David Neeley wrote:

As for me, I regret chiefly that more Linux
distributions do not come with a high level of
security out of the box, requiring users to
consciously turn on services that connect with the
outside world.

Your comment brings up another point that I should have mentioned earlier.If I can expand on your comments:

Talking about the security of Linux in general has only limited meaning. You can talk about the potential for security, but the practice covers the entire range of possibilities.

In other words,each distribution has different defaults. For example, Lindows, if what I've heard is correct, actually has all users running as root - in other words, it's as unsecure as an out-of-the box version of Windows ME or 98. Other distributions, especially if installed with automated options, leave all sorts of ports open, regardless of whether you're using them. Still others are designed for security, and leave no vulnerabilities that you don't specifically set up.

In general,when people say that Linux is more secure than Windows, they are talking about the potential. But the practice may fall far below the potential.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"And it takes a stranger to understand,
What the wind says in a strange land,
And the wind says, "This year, next year ..."
-OysterBand

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com