RE: Viva le Same! Linux

Subject: RE: Viva le Same! Linux
From: JB Foster <jb -dot- foster -at- shaw -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 10:43:53 -0600

Decker Wong-Godfrey Wrote:

> I have 20 guys in one of my orchards picking apples. Instead of telling
> them to look for worms, I tell them to work faster. I make it harder
> for them to actually look for worms because they are overloaded. I've
> promised the grocer that I'd have his shipment ...

Welcome to the modern world of work. What is it? ... about 65% of the
workforce is now working 50 hours or more per week, and stressed out (recent
news' stats). If you work in the apple orchard, you can add minimum-wage and
occupational hazards, to that list.

Why put out a quality product, when companies such as Sub-Zero are able to
find a market with status conscious consumers. Sub-Zero is seen as high-end,
yet the repair record for their refrigerators are much worse, than the worst
for the industry. Still they are in demand, and orders are growing because
people believe that at $5,000 each, there must be quality components inside.
Sounds a lot like Microsoft.

So - if you can work your employees like dogs, push out half-baked products,
and get a premium price, why would you change? Thankfully not all companies
are like this, but some are discovering what made Microsoft a household
name - not quality, but marketing hype!

I promise that this will be my last post on this thread ;-)

Bruce

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com