RE: Help me find the right tool

Subject: RE: Help me find the right tool
From: "David Cooper Consulting" <david_cooper_consulting -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 09:00:56 -0500

Selene,

When you say you can't use HTML help, I bet you're referring to Microsoft
HTML Help -- something that uses html in the source files, but generates
help that isn't reliably deployable on the Web.

Since you already have DreamWeaver experts onsite, I imagine you've
investigated the features Jeff described and found they don't meet your
needs.

You can use RoboHelp HTML to generate WebHelp, which uses JavaScript and
html, and deploys beautifully on the Web. My fave feature is the nav frame
with a TOC, search engine and index tab. And if you add some JavaScript to
your help button, you can save some screen real estate and clean up the look
by omitting the status and address bar from the window that launches.

(I'd be happy to send you some screen shots of some WebHelp systems I've
built -- just flip me an email.)

RoboHelp isn't cheap, but as your documentation grows it will become more
expensive to maintain as a normal Web site. Actually, RoboHelp's online help
has some good information about planning your online help, regardless of
what tool you end up using -- if you download the trial, give it a read.

Cheers, and good luck,
Dave

AUTHORINGTOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on upgrades.
Offer ends Oct 31, 02 (code: DTH102250). http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com