RE: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing

Subject: RE: Joing STC and breaking into Technical Writing
From: Matthew Horn <mhorn -at- macromedia -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 08:49:29 -0400

My gut feeling is that you should join the STC -- not to get work, but rather to meet other people in your profession. You also need to get a lawyer.

But the most important step to take is to get some work. After you have exhausted all your personal contacts, you need to reach out and meet someone. Sounds like you already know this, so here's some specifics.

In the Boston area, there are several resources that fit this bill. YMMV, but hopefully, this will give you some ideas of where to look. In a follow-up, perhaps you could post your location so that others might provide more specific assistance.

- MassHighTech newspaper: listings of lots of networking events, who's who, symposiums, etc (www.masshightech.com)
- NEJUG (New England Java Users Group): monthly meetings on particular topics (www.nejug.org)
- Massachusetts Interactive Media Council (www.mimc.org): host cyberbrews and other networking events

Good luck.