RE: ambiugous sentences

Subject: RE: ambiugous sentences
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 10:16:12 -0700 (PDT)

------------------------------
I do see this as being ambiguous, as I read it to mean:

The horse run (located past the barn) fell. In other words, a structure used to exercise horses, has fallen.
------------------------------

The actual sentence, at least in the examples from my liguistics classes, was:

The horse _raced_ past the barn fell. (not The horse _run_ past the barn fell).

Using "raced" excludes the above interpretation. BUT, the cool/interesting thing is that Isis' observation points to yet another possible interpretation for the sentence and demonstrates further ambiguity. :-) yikes!

Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

"Whatever you do, do NOT let your editorial decisions be made by the squiggly spell-checking lines in Word!" ~Keith Cronin, Techwr-l irritant ;-)

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com