Re: Wiki THIS!

Subject: Re: Wiki THIS!
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 10 Oct 2002 15:34:35 -0400

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 16:20, KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com wrote:
> I'm thinking that the Wiki-wiki concept might be
> a really great way to write the Requirements Specification
> and maybe also the Design Spec for an open-source
> project like OpenOffice.

No need to adjust the meds, Kevin. I use Wiki daily for development
process documentation and for maintaining public web site content. Two
very different uses, but the Wiki concept is perfect for both: I need an
environment where folks can work together on content, not worry about
how it looks (no font fondling here), and get it done -- fast.

Guy Haas said:
> Wiki-wiki (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiWikiWeb for those
> who might not be familiar with that tool)

The original Wiki is nice but I chose a Wiki clone called TWiki
(http://twiki.org) because it had some additional features for my
intranet environment.

Here's how we keep requirements specs in Wiki:

1. I created a template with places to put a requirement name, an
acceptance test, and some other meta-information.
2. With the developers, we sketched out other documents (including plans
for phases of development, release plans, and formal test documents) and
created templates for them.
3. During development, we keep track of requirements, their design, and
testing.

Every developer contributes to the Wiki pages. The documentation is no
harder than keeping text files, which our developers prefer. The
advantage is that everything is public (but internal to the company), so
critique is possible -- and encouraged.

The Wiki is hands-down the best thing I've done to encourage others to
contribute documentation. "Its in the Wiki" is a common prhase among our
developers when someone asks the status of a project. I love it :)

Here's an article on how I did it:
http://docs.linux.com/documentation/02/09/18/1449248.shtml?tid=38

Meg

--
Megan Golding SecureWorks, Inc.
Internet security for corporate networks.

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com