Maturation process - long

Subject: Maturation process - long
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 12:19:16 +0000

It has been a while since I posted about this company's lack of maturation in its processes. Since then, we have become ISO 9001-2000 certified. Has it made any difference?

Well, yes and no...

I have served as an internal auditor, and an auditee (most recently yesterday). We joke that a company/department can have bad processes, and if they document that as their way of doing business, then they pass the audit. In our training as internal auditors, they tell us to ask to see an example of adherence to documented processes.

But in a more serious vein, yesterday the lead auditor expressed his focus as the pursuit of increased customer satisfaction, through improvement of our processes. And instead of asking "can you show me an example" he chose the example himself, and asked us to show how we followed our processes in that project.

(Our department representatives started shifting in their chairs...)

It was interesting to see him start looking into "the way we've always done things" ever since this company was created. He was using the approach that the external auditors will take next time they are here: follow one project through all its phases across various departments in the company.

So, we have a Business Consultants group that negotiates new projects with our principal government client. They create a Project Scope document which lists, among other things, the hours required for development, documentation, quality assurance, etc. But even though the document lists X number of hours to be spent on documentation, there is no list of deliverables that are to result from those hours. This came to light when the auditor simply asked, "how do you know that you have actually done everything you were supposed to do for this project? What quality record shows that you have completed the job?"

Our answer was, well, we don't have any such record. That's just how it has always been done. We write a user manual, and maybe a little pocket guide; we post the documents on a web server as a means of delivery, but the details have always been set in informal conversations with the client.

I've been complaining to deaf ears about how immature our company is, and now I have some satisfaction in seeing our processes coming under some scrutiny.

Still, the auditor completely missed the fact that we have no formalized review procedure (my main pet peeve), in spite of the fact that one of our "process maps" lists such a step.

One result of this internal audit is that the business consultants group will add a list of deliverables to the documentation section of the project scope document template. Then, our group can check off the items and create a record of completion. Pretty basic, yes, but something as simple as that has never been part of the way this company does business.

I am actually beginning to hope that we will do business in a more professional manner. I don't feel like a lone, ingored voice now.

- A

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com