RE: cross reference updates in Word97

Subject: RE: cross reference updates in Word97
From: "Martin Polley" <Martinp -at- Surf-com -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 09:06:05 +0200

I just tried this in Word 2000 and Word XP with exactly the same result.
(Note--we are talking plain ol' headings here, nothing bookmarked.)

Not very helpful, I know, but at least it shows how important
backward-compatibility is to Microsoft...

To be more exact, the cross-reference DOES update to reflect what was
DELETED, but not what was added.

For example, if the heading reads "Hello!" and you delete the
exclamation mark and add " there", the cross-reference updates from
"Hello!" to "Hello".

I guess the conclusion is--if you know that it doesn't update correctly
when you do it like this, don't do it like this.

Regards,

Martin Polley
Technical Communicator
http://www.surf-com.com/