Re: Need another term for Julian date

Subject: Re: Need another term for Julian date
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:41:01 -0400

Greg,

It depends on the audience. If the documents are intended for use by COBOL programmers, mainframe operators, sys admins, and old coots like me, the author's usage will be understood with no further explanation. If the documents are intended for use by astronomers, classicists, or end users, on the other hand, you may want to spell out what is meant.

I realize the Julian date has nothing to do with the Julian calendar, and I have never heard of the term being used as you suggest (days since January 1, 4713 B.C.E.); but once upon a time the meaning of this bit of jargon was as well known as that of, say, "wysiwyg" is today.

Dick

"Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com> wrote:

>I've come across the term Julian date in some documents I'm editing and the author cleary does not mean a Julian date. The author wants the number of days since the begining of the year, not the number of days since January 1, 4713 B.C.
>
>I've only been able to find one source that supports this usage and it lists the usage as a corruption of the term.
>
>What say you?

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com