Re: Resume citation for ex-companies

Subject: Re: Resume citation for ex-companies
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:33:54 -0400

At 10:27 AM -0600 10/18/02, Paul Strasser wrote:

So I went to my HR department (one person) and mentioned this. She said,
"It doesn't matter. If someone asks, we'll tell them. Happens all the
time."

Rather an interesting take on this issue. Theory vs. practice. Happens all
the time.

So I ask y'all - has anyone had a bad experience regarding this sort of
issue in their own resume?

Sort of. Some of my former clients are no longer in existence or have morphed into different beasts, totally unrelated to the sort of products or services I was documenting. Some of my former employers no longer employ any of my former managers or colleagues---anyone at all who remembers me or my work---even though my employment dates were relatively recent. I've had calls from interviewers saying (rather snottily) that their HR departments had been unable to verify some of the employment details on my resume, and was I prepared to explain.

I now provide reference numbers---(1), (2), etc.---for each employer on my resume. The numbers point to a list of references that includes a project summary, current responsibilities and contact information for each former manager, project lead or client that I can track down.

K@
--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com