Re: Resume citation for ex-companies

Subject: Re: Resume citation for ex-companies
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:18:29 -0700

Jeff Hanvey wrote:

So I vote not to worry too much about the citation, but to concentrate on the heart of the resume - the skills and experience you can bring to the company.

In general, this is good advice. Skills and accomplishments are generally more important than the specific positions you've held. That's why most resume experts and career coaches suggest you put your work experience on the second page.

However,you never know what human resources types will focus on.Last week, when I was following up on a job application, I was told that I wasn't short-listed because:

- My last two permanent positions were with Linux-based companies, and the company where I applied was a Linux shop (never mind that many other positions were Windows-based,and the company did not make operating systems - or that anyone who can use Linux can use Windows without trouble)

- Two other major positions were judged not to be software-oriented (never mind that the job description I provided clearly showed otherwise).

Fortunately, I wasn't much interested in the position, so I wasn't too choked up. I thanked the person on the other end of the phone, hung up, kicked the cat, abused the goldfish, and, when, my blood pressure had fallen to 200/150, calmly made a few revisions that might prevent such misreadings in the future.

However, the point is: if HR people can't accurately read what's on the resume, and can make decisions with such inadequate knowledge, you can't be too careful.

Everything on your resume counts.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"I had a dream and I gave it a name
The name that I gave it was your name.
- Sam Larkin, "Mirabeau Bridge"

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com