RE: Big bucks in tech writing

Subject: RE: Big bucks in tech writing
From: "Gil Yaker" <gyaker -at- designdata -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:51:53 -0400

> Do people see themselves as being tech-writers for the rest of their
> working lives? Or do they hope to move into another field or into
management?
> If they do > plan to move away from technical writing, what do they
plan
> to do next? Ultimately?

You know, I do love tech writing. The way I see it, I'm just another
engineer with a specialty that most engineers do not have. They are
great at implementing designs. I provide a service in the group that
they can't do - documentation. That said - I need to get to the point
where I'm conceptually on the same (or at least near) level
-technically- as they are about the product to feel comfortable.

I like hearing when people say "oh yeah - Gil, he's a geek, he codes
text."

I'll probably stay in tech writing for the rest of my career. Management
would be cool - I enjoy large scale projects and bossing people around
*g*, but only having held jobs where I'm "lone tech writer" I doubt it's
going to happen.

Sometimes I think about doing freelance work or consulting. But to be
honest, working for myself seems like more responsibility than I'd like
to take on.

Let me ask this: What aspirations do coders/engineers have and is there
a similarity to this thread? Do they want to eventually manage? Or is
the title and responsibilities of Senior Developer (without having to
manage anyone) as much as they want?

-Gil

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com