Re: tracking changes in tables with Word

Subject: Re: tracking changes in tables with Word
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:35:04 -0400

Sean,

I've noticed the same thing. I presume it has something to do with the peculiar (and opaque) way that Word orders the cells in a table in its internal format. Or maybe it's the sequence in which the changes in the table were made. Whatever. I don't really care.

What I've learned to do is select a whole row and Accept Change, then go on to the next row, etc. (Alternatively, you can step through using the Next button on the Accept Changes dialog.)

After going through and accepting or rejecting everything once, I go back and look for more change bars. If I can't figure out what is changed in the marked table rows, I just use the Accept All Changes function. Sometimes I have to hit it twice. Eventually, the change bars all go away.

This is just one of those occasions when the serenity prayer comes in handy (grant me the serenity to accept ...) ;-)

Dick

Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com> wrote:

>Hi all.
>We use Track Changes in Word a lot for electronic editing. One thing that I've noticed and always wondered about was that when you are going through the changes one-by-one and get to a table, Word seems to randomly select one of the changes in a row, and then jump down to the next row whether you accepted/rejected all the changes in the previous row (it skips changes). It only does this in a table, and it does it if all the changes are in a single cell in a row. Anyone know why it does this (other than the "Word is #% -at- ^#%" answer)? Is there a setting I'm missing?

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com