Re: Word PDFMaker Problem

Subject: Re: Word PDFMaker Problem
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:35:01 -0500

Grant, Christopher wrote:

My first suggestion is to never use PDFMaker/PDFWriter. YMMV, of course, but
I've ran into numerous inconsistencies using those tools. I always print to
a Distiller-watched folder using the Distiller printer driver. Basically the
same result, only you know exactly what it's doing.

The results are not equivalent. First, PDFMaker should be configured to use Distiller. PDFWriter is an obsolete kluge with many serious deficiencies and it is no longer supported. It is an optional install and the option selected should be No.

But getting back to the other issue, PDFMaker converts Word TOC, bookmarks, and hyperlinks to Acrobat bookmarks. If you just print to file and distill, you have to add all of those features manually. So, no, they are not equivalent methods.

See if <pathname\filename.ps> already exists. If it does, delete it or move
it.

Again, this is incorrect. If the pathname is malformed or if the path does not exist, you will get an error. But if it is well formed and the filename.ps already exists, you will be given the option to overwrite it.

See if <pathname> exists. If it doesn't, create it.

Yes, do that.

See if the drive <pathname> is on is already full. If it is, make room.

That won't throw the error the original poster encountered. It will hang while writing the PS instead.

See if you can save files to <pathname>. If you can't, see if you have
permissions to read/write to that folder.

Bingo. That's the most likely issue.

See if there are any funny characters (anything other than standard
alpahnumeric characters) in <filename.ps>. If there are, remove them.

Another good suggestion.

To me this sounds like a problem rooted in that particular file folder or
path/file name than a problem with Distiller itself or your settings.

Yep, we agree there.

Chris, in diagreeing with you above, I'm not trying to beat you up; I just want to help ensure that people get correct information.

Dick

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com