Re: Some assembly required

Subject: Re: Some assembly required
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 09:57:55 -0800

Did anyone else catch the piece on Dateline last week about assembly instructions?

I saw this piece, and loved it! It took me back several years ago, when my children just HAD to have He-Man-of-the-Universe's Castle GraySkull. Not only were there 10 billion parts (well, maybe just 10 million), the kids lost parts before we ever got it together. Actually, we never did get it completely together. It later got an award as the worst product of the year.

A few years ago, I installed windshield wipers that came with no-word instructions, and very small pictures. After several minutes, I found the picture that matched my car, and yelled, "Aha! F6 is what I need!" Whereupon my teenage son came out of his room and said, "What function were you looking for? I know what all of those keys mean..."

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html
Oregon State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/oregon.html

Choose an Internet access plan right for you -- try MSN! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com