Re: Indexing Macro for Word: Update

Subject: Re: Indexing Macro for Word: Update
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:22:29 -0800

At 03:59 PM 10/31/2002 -0500, Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com wrote:

...What I forgot to include was that we want each reference to include the
name of the document it came from. That's the part that I think will
require a macro. I've checked the Word online Help to see if the Index
field code includes an option for including the name of the document
associated with the index entry in the entry, but that does not seem to be
possible.

Off the top of my head, I see a way to get there in a round-about way.
For the master index:

1. Alter the Heading 1 numbering style (or whatever style you use for
chapter numbers) to include a one or two letter prefix that will
serve as a book code.

2. Turn on folio page numbering (Insert > Page number, click Format,
check Include Chapter Number)

3. Make sure that chapter 1 of each document is set to restart at 1

4. create an RD doc that chains all of the documents together and
run the index there.

5. either include the doc code in the footer or globally replace
the code with the book name.

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

AUTHORING TOOL for MS Word. SAVE $100 on the full version and $50 on the
upgrade. Offer ends 10/31/2002 (code: DTH102250).
http://www.componentone.com/d2hlist1002

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com