Re: observation of tech writer status

Subject: Re: observation of tech writer status
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 10:19:37 -0800 (PST)

"Kevin McLauchlan" <> wrote ...

> Hmm. This discussion sounds so familiar... :-)

> I'm not a cryptography expert. Our CTO is.
> I'm not a programming/software design expert.

> I suppose it is possible that I *could* become an
> expert in all those fields, but then I'd likely be out
> of work, because:

> a) my company could not afford me and
> b) I would be doing mostly other stuff than my
> first love, which is to write about it all.

And here we go again with the same tired arguments from the "I'm a writer, not an
engineer" camp.

The goal is not being "an expert." I think the proper term is "working
knowledge." I would classify that as "intimate and in depth understanding of the
technology, its use, its value, and its interaction with other technologies." In
other words, an expert user and administrator. Somebody who knows the
technologies, designs, and inner workings with a high-degree of proficiency.

Just being a good writer does not make you qualified to document a technology.
You have to have more than good writing skills. And we've been down that path
100,000 times here.

If you expect people to respect your docs as an authority, then you need to
command the information in those docs with authority. Otherwise, you're just a
wordsmith or tool monkey reformatting other people's words.

Andrew Plato

HotJobs - Search new jobs daily now
http://hotjobs.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com