How do I "insert" a Word macro from someone else?

Subject: How do I "insert" a Word macro from someone else?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:46:17 -0500

Tricia Salese reports: <<Someone sent me an excellent Macro for Word 2000,
and I have no idea how to copy it into Word.>>

Two possible ways. First and easiest, if the macro was sent within a Word
file, use the macro organizer. Open the Word template in which you want to
store the macro. Open the Tools menu and select Macro, then Macros. Click
the last button (Organizer...). In the Organizer dialogue box, click the
Close File button beneath the other document being displayed, not the button
below your template. This button now becomes an Open File button you can
click to select the file that contains the new macro. Select the name of the
macro, then click the Copy--> button to transfer it. (The arrow shows the
direction in which the macro will be copied.)

Second, if the macro is sent via e-mail, select it and copy it. Open the
desired template that will hold the macro. Open the Tools menu, then select
Macro and Visual Basic Editor. (Depending on how Word 2000 is configured,
you may also have to select the appropriate "project"; this will be
associated with the template in which you want to store the new macro.)
Paste the copied macro at a suitable location within the window that
displays existing code, making sure not to wipe out any existing macro code
that you need. Depending on how much header text was provided with the new
macro, and how much macro text already existed in the template, you may need
to edit the text to remove redundant header information and make the two
sets of code work together. Check the online help on macros for details on
how to do this; it's a longer task than I have time for to describe how to
use Word's visual basic editor.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com