Re: STC Letter to the Editor

Subject: Re: STC Letter to the Editor
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 17:29:24 -0800 (PST)

Okay, Andrew!

Now I know that in your opinion "real writers write."

Got it. In spades, even.

But, pray tell me--are *your* documents (when you
*are* in fact creating *documents* and not spending
your time either working on security matters or
posting voluminously to TECHWR-L)...also professional
in the boring, "non-technical-communicator" things
like design, layout and (Heaven forbid!) typography?

Personally, I believe that the average quality of
writing *everywhere* is pathetic...but I *also*
consider appreciation for and knowledge of
presentation skills such as design, layout, and
typography to be a part of each true professional's
stock in trade.

After all, people are confronted with carefully
designed materials all day--and making technical
documentation *look* appealing is a part of actually
getting it read to begin with!

Likewise, layout should complement the writing and
make it accessible.

Of course, far be it from me to suggest that your
example work product in a "1K text file" was not as
good as you claimed...but the best written
documentation is not worth a d*** if it isn't read by
the poor sod trying to get some work done with the
tool they don't...quite...understand yet.

David

http://webhosting.yahoo.com/

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com