Where do you spend your time? (was RE: STC Letter to the Editor)

Subject: Where do you spend your time? (was RE: STC Letter to the Editor)
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 09:37:56 -0600

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I'm currently outlining how I
spend my time creating a typical doc project. (We're trying to learn how to
give folks at my company reasonable estimates on the time required to
produce something.) I found that my percentages closely parallel what
someone else posted as their typical doc project breakdown:

> 50% - Learn products & technology
> 25% - Write (from my knowledge, not from SME notes)
> 20% - Edit (ruthlessly)
> 5% - Fonts, structure, style, etc.

... is this typical for others on the list?

I think I spend a little more time writing, and less revising, but I most
definitely spend about half the time not writing at all, but rather only
researching. Of course this will vary from project to project, but I'm
wondering how other writers on this list typically break down a project.

Chris Grant

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com