Re: Requirements Writing

Subject: Re: Requirements Writing
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 19:57:15 -0500

Rose,

First, think like a tester. When you write a sentence in a requirements document, ask yourself if you have described something testable. "The user interface must be intuitive and easy to navigate" is not an easily tested requirement. "All buttons on the user interface will be the same size" is an easily tested requirement (not a useful one, of course, just a dumb example).

Second, limit each input document to a single function of the software. I do not mean a single feature, because you may need several related features to implement a function. But putting each function on a separate form makes it easier to sort requirements into priority groups, assign development to individuals, etc.

Third, what you are creating is a functional specification, not a design specification. Nonetheless, designers are going to have to use the information in your form to build the design, so you want to make it easy for them. Identify what actions users may need to perform and what the desired consequences are of each of those actions. If more than one kind of user might interact with the function, create use cases for all of those kinds of users.

Well, maybe that's a start. I'm sure others will have more to say. Good luck.

Dick

Wilcox, Rose (ZB5646) wrote:

Do you have any experiences or insight you feel you could share to illuminate me? Any resources about Requirements gathering or writing -- websites and/or books?

Note: I have written Requirements before, but my main audience was developers, not testers. I have been reading the article on the Raycomm site, and do have some templates available including some I've created. I'm looking specifically for the QA/test angle, but also will be glad to hear any other related info just for the learning value!

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com