Re: "Standard" software for four-color, glossy magazine layout?

Subject: Re: "Standard" software for four-color, glossy magazine layout?
From: Cheryl Magadieu <leftymagoo -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 13:32:32 -0500

Before I became a tech writer, I was an editor at several weekly trade publications. At most of the publications, the writers and editors used Microsoft Word to prepare the articles. The art department used Adobe Illustrator to prepare illustrations and Adobe Photoshop to modify photos. The production department and the copy desk used QuarkXPress to create and/or modify the layout and flow in the text and graphics.

Some publications use Adobe PageMaker for layout, but in my experience, QuarkXpress is much easier to use. Also, publications that have a tight budget may want to use photo-editing software that's less expensive than Photoshop, such as Paint Shop Pro. For preparing illustrations, some people prefer CorelDraw over Illustrator.

Cheryl

At 11:07 AM 11/10/2002 -0800, Steven wrote:

Can anyone tell me what a fairly "standard" set of software tools would be for laying out a glossy, newsstand, four-color magazine. I use Framemaker for technical writing, but I'm not sure if that would be a first choice for producing a magazine. Also, in addition to the main desktop publishing program for the overall magazine design, what software is typically used for photo editing?

Besides those two tools -- a main program for laying out the publication, and something for photo editing -- are there any other types of packages required for producing a magazine? If so, what?

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com