RE: FrameMaker Vs Word

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Vs Word
From: LDurway -at- pav -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:18:38 -0600

> 1) The company is following a cost cutting measure
> and as a result,they have pointed out that FrameMaker
> licenses have to be paid more for, when compared to
> Word licenses.

Differences in license cost are negligible. Try this:
Convert the difference in license
cost to a value in terms of writer salary days. For
the sake of argument, let's make it the worst-case
scenario in favor of Word: a FrameMaker license costs
one week more, in terms of writer salary, than Word.

Next question: how much time will Frame save you?
I haven't used Word for anything serious, so I don't know
what the answer is. I'm sure there are others here who
can do a feature/time/usage comparison better than I.
>From what I've heard, you save more time in the long run
using Frame--numbered lists, x-refs, toc & index, conditional
text, and all that fancy stuff works flawlessly for me every
time. You add WebWorks Publisher to the mix, and it's even
more of a time saver. How long will it take to make up that
one week of additional license cost?

Obviously, I'm pro-Frame, but based on your needs, you may
find Word to be a better choice. I just wanted to make
sure you put license cost in proper perspective. If they
deprive you of a valuable time-saving tool because of a few
hundred bucks, they're not doing the math.

Lindsey

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com