RE: FrameMaker Vs Word

Subject: RE: FrameMaker Vs Word
From: Valerie Priester <hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 16:40:07 -0500

--On Friday, November 15, 2002 2:51 PM -0600 LDurway -at- pav -dot- com wrote:

I've used and preferred Frame for years, but Adobe says
there's no business case for porting it to Linux.

My company wants to exit Windows, soon. Linux is the
intended landing zone.

Isn't there some sort of hosted Windows package that you
can run on UNIX so that you can run Windows apps?

Back when I first started at my current job in 1997, I was stuck with a really low-memory 486 and a nice Sun workstation. The PC froze all the time, but half my docs were in Word. I ran what I believe was a Citrix ICA client that worked with the server the Engineering school had up, and had what was the current version of Word (and a whole bunch of other Windows-based apps.) running like a dream on my Sun. The Citrix ICA client itself is free, but I think (I stress think, I don't set these things up) you need server software, which is not free. They do have ICA clients for Linux. Could this be what you're thinking of?

Valerie Priester
hammerl -at- buffalo -dot- edu

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com