Re: What good is it if you can't find it?

Subject: Re: What good is it if you can't find it?
From: Jason Deal <jason -dot- deal -at- mitratech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:44:17 -0800

That's not really the point. Nobody ever would; it's obviously a ridiculous stance. The proof is in the pudding; I've worked with my share that put on the brave face, and constantly tout content as being inextricably linked with design... and then utterly fail to understand the content, be content with what developers spoon-feed them, and end up creating a document that looks great and is utterly useless.
Nobody actually says they do this; they just go ahead and do it anyway.
A symptom of this, in my opinion, is the comment that Susan made: "But if all you want is content, you can ask an engineer for it." I know for a fact that this is not the approach that Sue takes, that she does put effort into understanding the content that she is trying to document. But there are plenty of people who take it for gospel that developers are telling us everything that we and the user need to know, and that everything they say is correct. I have seen a lot of this, and I'm still really young. If you do not understand the content that you are documenting, you are, by default, making yourself a glorified typist. This is how design triumphs at the expense of content in the real world; it is not a conscious choice to spend all of your time choosing fonts. It is simply that writers frequently do not consider the content important enough for them to take the time to understand.

> Myopia runs on both extremes of the content/design debate for any number of
reasons (and I'd really like to dig a bit deeper to find out why some people
are as fanatical as they are). As with life in general, the all-or-nothing
stances on both sides of the content/design war are wrong. The truth lies in
the middle and may sway towards one direction or the other depending
on......<gasp /> your target audience!

Just one, just *one*, show me just one single person on this list who has
taken the "content is dog" stance? Just one.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com