Re: Proof that content is more important than style

Subject: Re: Proof that content is more important than style
From: "Deb Molinaro" <dm -at- ptrail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 19:57:15 -0500

From: "Andrew Plato" <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>

> The "style vs. content" war is hot as ever. I have a new bomb to drop on
this
> argument:

<snip, snip>

> Here is my example:
>
> The thousands of RFC documents generated to outline networking and
Internet
> standards are exceptionally homely, inconsistent, and short on style. Yet
these
> documents form the technical foundation of one of the most valuable
advancements
> of the modern era. The entire Internet, the technology all of us are using
right
> now to blather about how important style is, is based on a collection of
> exceptionally homely and poorly designed documents.

They may be "homely,"but that's by design. Indeed, they have a process (see
RFC 2026 "The Internet Standards Process -- Revision 3") as well as
formatting requirements (see "Instructions to RFC Authors" (formerly RFC
2223). ) Here's the abstract:

"Abstract

This memo provides instructions for authors of Request for Comments
(RFC) documents. It specifies formatting requirements and editorial
policies, addresses frequently asked questions, and serves as a
model for constructing a properly formatted RFC."

> HOW CAN THIS BE?!?!?!

I'm wondering this myself...

The spec even tells you which font to use. Y'know, just because you fondle a
rudimentary font, doesn't mean it's not font fondling.

"The character code is US-ASCII [11] (also known as ISO
464.IRV). Only the printable ASCII characters and the three
control characters CR, LF, and FF are allowed."

Turns out these "homely" docs have more design planning going for them than
most of the "pretty" ones out there. I guess some research went into
determining which was the best font, format, structure, organization of a
whole series of docs so that they'd be the most useful to their intended
audience.

Cheers,
Debbie

The Paper Trail