Re: Proof that content is more important than style

Subject: Re: Proof that content is more important than style
From: "U-MIRKWOOD\\Gregory Holmes" <holmegm -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 19:03:40 -0500

Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> Okay, then answer this: why then do writers on this list, throughout all of STC
> and in all these certification courses spend the grand majority of their effort
> and time on issues of style, structure, and layout? If it is "given" that content
> be "there" and "accurate" then one would think that professional organizations
> and writers would give content a little more prominent place in the scheme of
> things.

I would expect that when technical writers get together, literally
or in publications, etc., they discuss things they have in common.
Aside from a little chit-chat, it wouldn't make much sense to
discuss how often to lubricate conveyors, which screen is used to
receipt child support payments, and why your VCR can't be used to
make copies. Content varies so much that beyond generic
discussion of how to learn it, get it from SMEs (gasp!), structure
it, and present it, there wouldn't be much to talk about. It is
an artifact of the situation, not an absolute depiction of how a
writer spends his time and effort.

> I think this is why so much documentation is so bad. Writers are not being held
> responsible for their content, and as such they are putting out crap. If
> companies started holding their writers responsible for the accuracy of the
> documentation, you would see a dramatic shift away from style and structure as
> writers began to worry more about content.

If there had to be a choice between the two, sure. Perhaps we'd
have both?

> And the RFCs are a good example of that. They use a very simple, no-nonsense
> structure and style that has been in use for 20+ years. There is no need to keep
> tweaking and fondling it because it serves its purpose.

They do, but how much of that is because of the audience? A
person programming an email system (say) is going to approach the
RFCs in a different way than, say, a telephone support person in
an insurance company approaches the online Help to their in-house
software. If "Help" opens an Explorer window with your directory
full of text files, they'll say to hell with it and call their
Help desk. Time and money lost.

Greg Holmes

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com