Survey Responses

Subject: Survey Responses
From: "Justin Ressler" <JRessler -at- ewa-denver -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 10:05:42 -0700

Last week I posted a survey and several people suggested I post the
answers were 'interpreted' so that will skew the results as well. This is
far from a great statistical survey, so take the results for what they are
worth.

I think we could have had a few more responses, but some may have been
offended by my lack of dedication to grammar and usage!

The following obvious mistakes were noted:

"Doesn't sound to hard does it." should read "Doesn't sound too hard does
it?"
"I here Seattle is great" should read "I hear Seattle is great."

Other errors included tense stuff...but you guys were smart enough to bear
with my 10 minute draft of a survey. Thanks to those of you who were polite
about pointing out errors. There is something to be said about tact and
diplomacy.

The questions are posted again, followed by the number (**X**) of responses
for each option.

!!!!!THANKS!!!!!!

1. Your current position is best summarized by
a. Full Time Employee **41**
b. Contractor/Consultant that works 40+ Hours a week. **3**
c. Contractor/Consultant who works less than 40 hours a week. **4**
d. Unemployed, laid off within the past year, currently searching for work.
**3**

2. How long have you been/did you search for work?
a. About a year **4**
b. Oh, not very long, just a couple of weeks. **12**
c. 3-6 Months **18**
d. 6-10 Months **8**
e. Search? No, they look for me. **8**

N/A - **12**

3. I have X years of Experience.
a. Newbie, just out of school, or just into the field. (0-6 months-ish)
**1**
b. Less than 2 **5**
c. Less than 5 **14**
d. Boy I've been tech writin' since before yuse was borned. (23+ or greater
than 5 years). **42**

4. My degree level is (including all fields, not just TC).
a. Certificate **1**
b. Associates **3**
c. Bachelors **38**
d. Masters **15**
e. Doctorate **0**
f. I don't need no stinking degree to do this stuff, and well...I don't
have one either. **3**

5. Within the past year, my company has
a. Laid me off. **6**
b. Downsized the number of writers **18**
c. Hired on more writers. **8**
d. Pretty much stayed the same **26**
e. Said "We don't even need writers...the Engineers can write just
fine...I'm a genius!" (eliminated the whole dept.) **1**

6. My company now employs:
a. One or two writers who handle everything for documentation needs. **40**
b. A department of writers/editors and such. **18**
c. An individual who does the writing and documentation, but is really an
engineer/designer/developer/janitor. **1**
d. My company...oh..they went belly up. **1**

7. My responsibilities have:
a. Decreased, cause I don't have a job. **5**
b. Increased, cause there isn't anyone else. **27**
c. Increased, cause there aren't as many writers/editors. **16**
d. I never really had any...so they haven't changed. **7** (includes those
who stated 'stayed the same')

8. Since I have been unemployed, I have had approximately:
a. 1-3 serious interviews **6**
b. 3-10 serious interviews **6**
c. 10-20 interviews **0**
d. I lost count, but I am still unemployed **1**
e. I lost count, but I have a job now. **9**

N/A - Lots...

9. Within the past year, I have applied to X amount of TC jobs that I am way
over qualified for.
a. 2-3 **6**
b. 3-10 **3**
c. 10-20 **4**
d. Pretty much all of 'em, cause all the good gigs are taken. **4**
e. I haven't found any TC jobs to apply to. **9**

N/A - Lots...

10. I think the best place to be for a TC job is in:
a. Oh geez, maybe the Northeast.
b. Texas
c. Oh...hmmm...how about California
d. Definitely the Northwest...I here Seattle is great.
e. Mint Juleps and Tech. Writing...the South is where to be.
f. Not in the US, somewhere else.
g. Certainly in England.
h. OH Canada....
I. Australia, New Zealand...
j. Any other place than the list above.
k. (Please add your Country here)

Q #10 Was interpreted a number of ways, including quality of life, number of
jobs available, and industries. Some of the best answers stated that it
isn't about the place, but about the time (say late 90's). Other answers
included 'anywhere there is work' and 'anywhere you're happy.'

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com