RE: Product Help vs. Application Help

Subject: RE: Product Help vs. Application Help
From: "James Doria" <jimdoria -at- techie -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 13:14:58 -0500

Hello, all - new to the list...

> On 17 Nov 2002 at 22:56, rajancs2002 -at- yahoo -dot- com wrote:
> Can anyone tell me what is the difference between creating help
> for a software product and creating help for a software
> application (project)?

This seems like a distinction too vague to be useful. Is there any more information available?

In the absence of anything else, I'd think the key distinction is the term "project." That suggests a difference between creating docs for external versus internal use. Seems like this could mean 2 things:

1. The "product" is software designed for external release to a company's customers and the "project" is a program designed for internal use within the company. The relative abilities and assumed skill levels of the two different groups of users must be taken into account to create the docs, but the deliverables will be similar (context-sensitive help, online help, possibly a user's manual.)

2. The "product" is a program designed for end-users, and requires documentation that tells end-users how to operate the program, as above. The "project" is the development process, and requires documentation designed for the programmers who create and maintain the application. This might inlcude some description of what the different modules of the program are for, assistance on using custom programming tools, coding standards, etc.

But these are just my guesses. The description really is too vague to be sure.