Re: Documenting for the non-typical user? WAS: Fields arranged as a s entence

Subject: Re: Documenting for the non-typical user? WAS: Fields arranged as a s entence
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 11:44:50 +0000

Jim,

This must be the arguement that you are using to keep yourself in work. Applying Paretian analysis to your comment:
What you have written covers the questions of 20% of your audience
This means that to answer the questions of the other 80% you will need to write the other 80% of the documentation as well!

Deadline, what deadline?

Regards,
Ant

Jim Shaeffer wrote:

I agree with Mike Bradley (quoted below) and with the other advice I've seen posted so far.
However, you do use the word "mostly". Documenting for our
typical users is good, but if non-typical users are going to cause 80% of the support calls, shouldn't our documentation target them? Focusing on the typical user may not be the best way to maximize the value of our work.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com