Weird styles problem with Word?

Subject: Weird styles problem with Word?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 13:16:34 -0500

Steven Oppenheimer reports a problem with styles in MS Word 2000: <<Even
though I've pasted all the MS Word 97 chapters into one big, large MS Word
2000 document, each time I get to a new chapter it seems the chapter
"forgets" the formatting of these bulleted list styles I created. That is,
I have to reapply the list style to each paragraph where it belongs. And,
when I first enter each new chapter (but again, this is all in one big
document) I have to "remind" Word of the appropriate bullet by again
defining the style.>>

Sounds like your style definition might be set to "automatically update",
which means that when you paste in the new chapters, Word sees that the
styles have changed, and updates your template to reflect the style changes.
Assuming Word 97 uses the same menus and dialogs as Word 2000: Open the
Format menu, select styles, then select the problem style (bullet1). Click
the Modify button, then deselect the checkbox "Automatically update". That
should solve the problem.

Better still, if your Frame document brings in a style called "Bullet 1",
simply use Word's search and replace to replace all instances of this style
with the bullet style you've defined for the rest of the document. That
would resolve any problems that might be occuring from a glitch in the Frame
to Word conversion.

580 boul. St-Jean
Pointe-Claire, Que., H9R 3J9 Canada
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"With Linux, customers end up being in the operating systems business,
managing software updates and security patches while making sure the
multitude of software packages don't conflict with each other."--Microsoft
spokesperson in a News.com article

"And just how would that be different from Windows?"--Adam Engst, TidBITS

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com