Data Element Descriptions

Subject: Data Element Descriptions
From: "ROGERS, MARTHA (CONTRACTOR)" <MARTHA -dot- ROGERS -at- DFAS -dot- MIL>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 13:48:02 -0600

Hi y'all.

I'm writing element descriptions for a data element dictionary and have a question. One of our former developers frequently wrote element descriptions that included "Unique ID for . . ." or "Uniquely identifies . . ." I used to think the "unique" in the description was redundant; now I'm beginning to think it's necessary to distinguish between elements where each value must be different, such as User ID, and elements that have an established set of possible values, such as Password Reminder Question. Is "unique" a helpful qualifier for these elements where each value is unique? (Hmm, did I just answer my own question?)

Martha
(Today's Googlefight results: Save=29,800,000 Spend=8,730,000)

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com