Re: Repetition in Procedures

Subject: Re: Repetition in Procedures
From: peter -at- softwell -dot- co -dot- uk (Peter Hirons)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 10:25 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

> Should I include the procedure in full every time it is required.
>
> I have already placed procedures that are identical for all elements at
> the beginning of the chapter and cross-referenced to that.

Here's my thoughts:

If the sub-procedure is the end of the larger procedure then put in one
place and refer. (If you're going to refer to the sub-procedure from a
number of places then add it to the common material at the beginning of
the chapter rather than include it in the first use.)

If the sub-procedure is the middle of the larger procedure then repeat at
each place. Users will not want to find another page in the manual then
have to return to the previous place (which they've probably forgotten).

This, of course, depend on how many times you use the sub-proc and its
size - you may just want to save paper!

Peter

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com