RE: Unfamilliar languages, was:RE: The Burden of Screen Captures

Subject: RE: Unfamilliar languages, was:RE: The Burden of Screen Captures
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 13:18:59 -0500

[...]

> - Madelyn Boudreaux (I would probably be a Boudrot if I was
> French, not
> Cajun, illustrating the spelling shift and the ending -X of
> an presumably
> illiterate ancestor's signature.)

Well, either those ancestors moved around a lot, or some parallel evolution
has happened.

In New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Quebec (provinces of the country to your
North), I have seen Beaudreau and Beaudreaux and Boudreau and Boudreaux. I
think I may even have seen a Budreau(x) or two.

Similarly, the Bordeaux region of France doesn't spell it Bordot (unless the
Academie Francaise has met again...and handed down some revised
pronouncements?? :-)

Anyway, is it common to write/translate technical documentation for Cajun?

Acadians in NB and NS would normally either make do with the English, or
would seek out the French-from-France version and, if that failed, would
read the Quecbec french version.

Quebec readers would have no problem following a French-from-France
document, except that they would feel something varying from mild distaste
to mortal offence (depending on political leanings) at not having a "proper"
Quebe-french translation. But, there are only a few million of them, total,
so the number of those that would read anybody's technical documents is
unlikely to be much more than a million for the most ubiquitous consumer
products (and a far smaller chunk of the population for any specialized
products). I guess it depends on what you call a significant market for
your product.

For perspective, currently our little 80-person company deals with huge
corporate and government organizations around the world almost exclusively
in English. I don't know how much longer we'll get away with not
translating, but ... so far... so good. :-)

Cheers,

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com