Mb means Megabyte (was RE: Licence or license?)

Subject: Mb means Megabyte (was RE: Licence or license?)
From: Chris Gooch <chris -dot- gooch -at- lightworkdesign -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 11:10:17 -0000

Martin Polley wrote:
+++++
MB=megabyte (1,000,000 bytes)
Mb=megabit (1,000,000 bits)
MiB=mebibyte (2 to the power 20, or 1,048,576 bytes)
Similarly:
KiB=kibibyte (2 to the power 10, or 1,024 bytes)
+++

'Fraid I just can't let this one pass. This is what it says in the concise
OED:

---
megabit: n. Computing. A unit of data size or network speed, equal
to one million or (strictly) 1,048,576 bits (per second).

megabyte (abbrev.: Mb or MB). n. Computing. A unit of information
equal to one million or (strictly) 1,048,576 bytes.
---

Same for Kb (kilobytes) and kilobit (no abbrev., is a measure of
network speed not memory).

I've been into computers since I got a ZX81 at the age of 11 (22 years
ago now) and I've _never_ interpreted Kb as Kilobit --- it _always_
means Kilobyte, and is generally pronounced as just "K". Similarly
Mb means megabytes, and is generally pronounced "Meg".
I've also never once in my life before today seen "mebibyte".
Sounds a bit made up to me.

Kilobit and megabit are arcane forms only used by network
people (and scurrilous modem manufacturers trying to confuse
the public).

As for licence v. license --- look at your driving licence. This
will tell you what country you are from and also how to spell
"licence". :-)

Christopher Gooch, Technical Author
LightWork Design, Sheffield, UK.
www.lightworkdesign.com