RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights

Subject: RE: Hackos' minimalism seminar -- some insights
From: "Thomas Eagles" <tekwriter -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 05:05:51 -0500

Exactly. User analysis is most often not as useful as its title would
suggest. In fact, I'd guess that only in rare instances is it done and
done with practical application.

As long as you're writing in the correct language (English, Spanish...),
you should have all you need if you have a functioning product, SMEs,
and tools. Users and companies will vary, products will be tweaked to
fit corporate needs (especially if your customers are top 500
companies), and you probably don't have enough tech writers on staff
(any longer?) to adapt the docs for each individual customer.

So, what's the point of the Hackos comments, then? Beats me. Unless you
are documenting customers instead of software, you are focusing on a
moving target there.

Good point, Mike. Now we just have to make sure we all agree on what
constitutes "useful documentation." :-)

TTFN,

Tom

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com