Re: Tips and/or Suggestions for bidding on telecommute contracts & telephone interviews??

Subject: Re: Tips and/or Suggestions for bidding on telecommute contracts & telephone interviews??
From: DGoldstein -at- DeusTech -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 07:16:08 -0700

> How should I manage a
> request for writing samples? Just send electronic copies? Should I pdf.
> some of my docs? There could also be an issue surrounding permissions and
> so I might not be able to send electronic versions of some docs if asked

Ask your clients if you may send brief samples of their docs (1-2 pages)
to prospects. Since the docs in most cases are the client's property,
you'll have to get the client's permission. In my experience, some clients
agree and some don't.

I have heard of writers specifying in a contract their future right to use
brief samples of the work to be done. Sounds risky to me.

> I did some work for a local municipal government and received
> permission to use print copies in my portfolio but was told they must be
> marked "Property of x, y, x used with permission of my former boss". Also
> I was clearly told that copies of these docs could *not* be left with
> potential employers/prospective clients. Naturally, I want to honour those
> sorts of agreements.

For face-to-face interviews, I have shown up with two sets of samples:
"These I can leave with you; these I can show you, but I can't leave them
with you." If an interviewer doesn't understand another company's need for
confidentiality, you don't want to work for them!

For long-distance interviews, there's *no* way to securely display docs
without some chance that the viewer can keep a copy. In that case, maybe
the clients that don't want their docs left with a prospect will give you
a *very* positive reference instead.

> My guess too is that, if they're really interested, there will be some
> sort of telephone interview. I've never done one of those before. Does
> anyone have any tips or suggestions that I should keep in mind.

There are tons of Web sites with helpful tips for doing interviews,
including telephone interviews and conference calls. Happy surfing!

Dan Goldstein

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com