RE: Unionizing?

Subject: RE: Unionizing?
From: "Donald H. White" <whitedh -at- attbi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2002 20:28:34 -0500

Evan wrote:

"Unionizing? Now I'm ignorant when it comes to unions, but it sounds
like a good way to drive the paid technical writer right out of a lot of
companies. I know I'd be gone if I became part of a union that forced my
employer to increase my salary.

We have enough problems convincing employers of our worth without adding
the word "Union" to the perception."

------------

How many times have you been discarded as soon as a project was
completed, simply because (a) you were then classified as 'overhead' and
(b) your skill was (is) considered a 'soft' skill?

How many times have you taken on projects through head shops that paid
your taxes (W-2) but offered no such thing as any form of retirement
plan or insurance (medical, dental, or life)?

Well, unions are not a panacea, but they exist because individuals with
certain related skills saw a need for collective bargaining for the good
of all who joined. No union has prevented a company from liquidation or
a plant from closure. Unions have negotiated better salaries, and
salaries to scale, along with better benefits.

I am often amazed at how visceral the reaction is to the idea of a union
for white-collar employees. Are we inherently superior? Do we fear the
loss of our individual independence? Do we feel that, individually, we
can negotiate so much a better compensation package than any (or most)
others in our field?

Then again, there's a similar reaction to the mention of the STC, too.
As if the organization is not of its members, but is some vague group
above and beyond that attempts to pontificate to the minions below.

Don White
804.795.2914
whitedh -at- attbi -dot- com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com