Re: More employment woes...

Subject: Re: More employment woes...
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 07:14:28 -0700

Steve wrote:

> No one is going to manage your career for you.

THAT's something a lot of whirlers should print and pin up on their
cubicle walls.

Karen, you've just encountered a very typical set of obstacles that many
of us encounter. Every job has its challenges, and getting and staying "in
the loop" is one of the most common ones for tech writers.

Know that. Accept that. Assume that. And be prepared to DO something about
it.

To use a buzzword I hate, get *proactive*.

This ain't that hard a job. We get decent money, we work in
air-conditioned offices, we seldom if ever bust a sweat, and the only
danger we face is a missed deadline.

So you gotta go out and remind people to e-mail you about changes in the
products - so what? Do it. You've just said that you're in close physical
proximity to most of the departments you need to interact with (a HUGE
advantage compared to companies who divide such teams across entire
continents or even across oceans), and you've even got a great connection
for your smoke breaks. Take advantage of it. Stay on top of it.

If this stuff wasn't at least kind of challenging, we'd do it for free.
Earn your money. Reach out and involve yourself in your gig.

Keith Cronin
who has considered starting to smoke in order to get the scoop on what the
architecture team is up to

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com