RE: Unionizing?

Subject: RE: Unionizing?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 12:10:53 -0500

[...]

> A union only has power when it has bargained
> a contract with a particular employer, or representatives of
> a certain industry.

Would somebody please tell me about situations where
somebody can be a member of a union and derive ANY
net benefit from it (after paying dues, etc.) when
you work at a company that is not itself unionized?
If I joined the Teamsters tomorrow, what effect could
that have on my working conditions (assuming I could
remain employed...) or my next salary negotiation
as the lone technical writer at an 80-person company?

The word "union" has been used explicitly, so naturally
I'm excluding professional associations, which might
have a teensy bit of cachet at salary-negotiation time
(such as PEng designations for those who qualify).

> Then both sides are bound to what's been
> agreed upon. Don't forget that along with that higher salary
> unions negotiate, comes the expectation that the workers will
> be more highly qualified, if not the best qualified
> candidates for the jobs.

That's not the funniest thing I've ever heard, but
it's right up there. "Unionized = best qualified"??
WAAAAAaaaaaahahahahahahaha omigod, my sides hurt... :-)

/kevin

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com