RE: When they shouldn't be experimenting (was RE: Encouraging learning---g by experimentation?

Subject: RE: When they shouldn't be experimenting (was RE: Encouraging learning---g by experimentation?
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:26:49 -0800 (PST)

--- Mike Bradley <mbradley -at- techpubs -dot- com> wrote:

> > READ THIS OR YOU WILL BE KILLED
>
> YOU WILL BE TESTED ON THE CONTENTS OF THIS MANUAL TOMORROW. IF YOU FAIL, YOU
> WILL BE FIRED!

I gotta say that context could be all-important here, and this post, reproduced
verbatim, seems to lack context.

The content (not to be confused with the context) is unambiguous. In the first
instance, a life will be taken; in the second instance, a job will be lost.

I can't help but wonder, if someone is monitoring the reading of the "this" in the
first instance and murdering people who don't finish the "this" within a time
certain? Or is it possible that not reading "this" will result in an error from
which there is, literally, no recovering, that the consequences of not reading
"this" is that one will die.

On the other hand, since "this" is unreferenced in the example, might it be
self-referential? I guess it's not as umambiguous as I expected. The content is
there, yet without a context what am I to make of it?

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 10/28/02
--First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.
Thomas a Kempis (1380 - 1471), 1420--

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com