Need a pointer from an Office 2000 whiz

Subject: Need a pointer from an Office 2000 whiz
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 16:14:15 -0500

It's that time of year again. I'm updating our PowerPoint templates for distribution to the field (shudder!).

Foolishly, I keep trying to make these templates more and more nearly idiot-proof. But I'm now hitting a snag, and maybe someone on the list can point me in the right direction.

If I add a new slide that includes an org chart, it picks up its colors from the slide color scheme defined in the template. It picks up its font from somewhere unknown (seems to default to Arial).

If I add a new slide that includes a standard chart, it picks up its colors from the slide color scheme and it picks up its default font from the slide title font.

These choices are not working, for a variety of reasons. Rather than write long instructions that nobody will read about how to select colors and fonts for inserted objects, I'd like to alter these defaults somewhere so that my changes can persist with the template. But these are OLE objects edited in Office plug-in programs that I don't know how to get at independently, nor do I know where the defaults are set for them. If it's in the registry, maybe I could distribute some object or script that would run and automatically make the needed registry changes on everyone's machine when invoked??? Or maybe I need some sort of macro attached to the templates??? Or...???

If you have solved this problem or can point me to an article somewhere, I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

Dick

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com