videotaping interviews with SMEs

Subject: videotaping interviews with SMEs
From: "William Turner" <whturner -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 14:49:29 -0800

TWhirlers,

In her post of 12/06, Lisa Bronson mentioned that she loves "taping
interviews with SME's and watching and/or listening to them over and over
to get the information I need." I had not previously heard of TWs
videotaping SMEs (although I have had valuable results doing so during
formal TOI presentations at beta releases). Videotaping SMEs earlier in
the project sounds like a good idea to me, especially if the trend
continues that I am seeing toward poorly maintained engineering specs.

However, I wonder if there might be some problems with early videotaping,
such as resistance on the part of the SMEs (the same kind of resistance
that engineers present to putting their half-formed ideas in their
engineering specs...or maybe just shyness?) or on a more formal level from
the company (potential exposure of intellectual property?). Have any of
you who have tried videotaping had negative feedback?

--- Will Turner
--- whturner -at- earthlink -dot- net

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com